The environmental programs offered help people of all ages learn, enjoy and understand more about Skagit River and the North Cascades.
The primary objectives include field-based environmental education (focusing on natural and cultural history), providing programs of public education, involvement
in conservation, natural science, history and related fields of study, and conducting interpretive activities.
All of these activities are to foster and enhance understanding and appreciation of the North Cascades bioregion.
North Cascades Institute (operating the Learning Center under an agreement with Seattle City Light, provides all of the Learning Center"s environmental education programs, serving children and adults from Skagit and Methow Valleys, the Puget Sound region and beyond.
The Learning Center reaches more than 10,000 people each year in a wide variety of field-based and overnight programs.
Scholarships are available.
- Natural and cultural history seminars for adults
- Professional development experiences for teachers
- Mountain School for elementary school students
- Youth summer experiences such as North Cascades Wild and Parks Climate Challenge
- Volunteer stewardship programs
- Environmental education internships
- Graduate program: Master of Education in Environmental Education.