Child Care and Development Block Grant

To make grants to States, Territories, Tribes, and tribal organizations for child care assistance for low- income families and to:

  1. allow each State maximum flexibility in developing child care programs and policies that best suit the needs of children and parents within such State

    credit: Daily News/Andrew J. Breig
  • promote parental choice to empower working parents to make their own decisions on the child care that best suits their family's needs
  • encourage States to provide consumer education information to help parents make informed choices about child care

  • assist States to provide child care to parents trying to achieve independence from public assistance
  • assist States in implementing the health, safety, licensing, and registration standards established in State regulations.
  • Related Programs

    Examples of Funded Projects

    Discretionary Funds are awarded to States via a block grant, which, through their appointed Lead Agencies, make many of the decisions about priorities, policies, and expenditures in achieving goals related to improved family access to quality child care.

    States are required to commit at least four percent of their Discretionary Funds to activities such as consumer education, resource and referral services, provider training, and caregiver recruitment designed to improve child care availability and quality.

    Targeted funds designated for quality, infant and toddler care, resource and referral, and school-age care, further support State efforts to improve child care access and quality.

    Agency - Department of Health and Human Services

    The Department of Health and Human Services is the Federal government's principal agency for protecting the health of all Americans and providing essential human services, especially to those who are least able to help themselves.

    Office - Persons are encouraged to communicate with the Child Care Bureau Regional Program Managers (RPM).

    A list of the RPM's and their contact information is available at

    You may also contact the Child Care Bureau, Office of Family Assistance at (202) 690-6782 or by Fax at (202) 690-5600.

    Relevant Nonprofit Program Categories