The Department of Homeland Security has three primary missions: Prevent terrorist attacks within the United States, reduce America's vulnerability to terrorism and minimize the damage from potential attacks and natural disasters.
In previous fiscal years, this program provided assistance to individuals and households affected by disasters such as hurricanes, tornadoes, or flooding, etc. For example, approximately 1.3 million households were approved for assistance in the aftermath of Hurricane Katrina.
Uses and Use Restrictions
Restricted to Presidential-declared disasters or emergencies, such as an earthquake, hurricane, tornado, wildfire, or flood, etc.
Program activates only after issuance of a presidential declaration.
"Other Needs Assistance" may be provided for the following: 1) Medical, 2) Dental, 3) Funeral, 4) Personal Property, 5) Transportation, and 6) Other Miscellaneous Expenses.
Assistance not used for the specified purpose will be required to be returned.
If the State is providing for other needs under Section 408(f) of the Stafford Act, please refer to CFDA 97.050.
Applicant Eligibility for individuals and households affected by a Presidential-declared disaster or emergency: 1) Medical disaster caused expenses, and/or paid receipts (bills) for medical treatment; 2) Dental disaster caused expenses, and/or paid receipts (bills) for treatment; 3) Funeral disaster caused expenses, and/or paid receipts (bills) for services; 4) Personal Property proof of ownership; disaster caused personal damage; 5) Transportation proof of ownership; vehicle complies with State laws, disaster caused vehicle damage; and 6) Other Necessary Expenses and Serious Needs Identified the expense or need must be caused by the disaster and approved by FEMA.
Individual and family located within an area which, by Presidential declaration, has been designated as a disaster area.
FEMA Disaster Assistance Regulations at 44 CFR Part 206.
Aplication and Award Process
Based on damage assessments and an agreement to commit state funds and resources to the long-term recovery, the State Governor makes a request (through the FEMA Regional Director) for a Presidential Declaration for an emergency or major disaster.
Requests for assistance must be made by the Governor in accordance with FEMA Disaster Assistance Regulations, 44 CFR 206, except as provided in Part 206.24(d) for emergency declarations involving primarily Federal responsibility.
This program is eligible for coverage under E.O.
12372, Intergovernmental Review of Federal Program.
If the State has selected the program for Review, an applicant should consult the office or official designated as the single point of contact in his or her State for more information on the process the State requires to be followed in applying for assistance.
A Presidential Disaster or Emergency Declaration must first be issued. Afterwards, individuals and households located within a Presidentially-declared disaster area, may register an application for assistance with FEMA via a toll-free number or FEMA Internet application or by visiting a Disaster Recovery Center.
Funds are allocated from the President's Disaster Relief Fund for use in a designated emergency or major disaster. Households receive assistance directly from FEMA or through disaster aid programs of other participating federal or state agencies.
Generally, individual and household applications for disaster assistance must be filed within 60 days of the disaster declaration.
Robert T. Stafford Disaster Relief and Emergency Assistance Act, as amended by Public Law 106-390. This CFDA is for when State receives a grant from FEMA under Section 408(f) to administer the other needs program. If a grant has not been requested by the State, the assistance is provided for under CFDA 97.048.
Range of Approval/Disapproval Time
Appeals of program decisions must be submitted in writing within 60 days of the date of the notification letter.
Formula and Matching Requirements
Housing not applicable; other needs FEMA or the State may administer the other needs provision. The State provides 25 percent of the funds for the total number of grants disbursed for the designated disaster. The Federal Government provides the remaining 75 percent of the costs for grant awards as well as the regulations, policies, and procedures that govern the provision. States may also receive up to 5 percent of the Federal share of the program for administrative costs. The Governor may request a loan of the State's 25 percent share.
Length and Time Phasing of Assistance
Generally, a one time assistance payment, with a total assistance period of no longer than 18 months.
Post Assistance Requirements
Quarterly and final financial reports are required.
Internal program aud