The Marine Geology and Geophysics program supports research on all aspects of geology and geophysics of the ocean basins and margins, as well as the Great Lakes.
The Program includes topics associated with
- Structure and evolution of the oceanic lithosphere
- Active rifts
- Convergent and passive margins
- Paleoceanography and related paleoclimate; sea level change
- Stratigraphy and sediment architecture
- Origin, diagenesis, transport, and accumulation of sediments
- Petrology; fluids within the crust and sediments
- Geohazards including earthquake potential, faulting, mass wasting, tsunamis, hydrate stability
The Marine Geology and Geophysics Program is interested in supporting cutting-edge research that involves field and laboratory programs, methods development, modeling, and analysis and/or synthesis of existing data.
The Program interfaces with other programs within Ocean Sciences and with several programs within Earth Sciences.